Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Olivia's oral surgery 4/2/10

I get so sad looking at this picture! Although she is so cute & happy in the photo, it reminds me of how the rest of the appointment went! She had a molar that never came in & we had been watching it for a year & it wasn't moving, but the teeth next to it were!
We were back the next morning to have it removed (day of the photo). They started her off with some gas & shots & started off doing awesome! She hasn't had any cavities yet so the only work done on her so far is cleanings. But as he worked more & more on her, it got harder & hurt causing her to cry, scream, & kick all around. The Doctor could not get the tooth out because it was wedged in between the other 2 teeth so he finally gave up. I was literally laying on top of her to try & hold her still. It was a sad day! Not to mention it was the day that Trent & I left to the Bahamas, so I got to worry about her during my trip!
Olivia would make comments like, "Remember when the doctor said it wouldn't hurt but it did!" & "Remember when he said that it would tickle a little bit? It didn't tickle, it hurt!" What drove me crazy was when he would say to her "Don't cry, I'm not even doing anything!" while pushing & pulling hard on her poor little tooth!
So a new appointment was scheduled with an oral surgeon & WOW! how much better that went! They put her to sleep & within 10 minutes had the tooth out! The tooth was HUGE! So was the hole left in her mouth! Then they had to put a band with a spacer on the tooth in front of the hole. What was extremely nice was that the dentist came over to the surgeon's office to put on the spacer on the tooth on his day off so that we wouldn't have to go back to him later to have it put on!
The crew working on her.
So can you tell which side the tooth came out of?? Her cute puffy little right cheek doesn't give it away does it?!
And then to be even more impressed, the surgeon & dentist offices sent her flowers! She absolutely loved that!
Now the comments she makes are "Next time I need a tooth pulled, you better put me to sleep again!" & "That didn't even hurt when I was a sleep!"

1 comment:

@mie said...

Oh man, that stinks!!!
I feel your pain. We need to seriously consider making a budget for just dentist work we need done in our family. Thin enamel stinks!!!!
So glad they put her out... finally!